<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 14, 2015

"Usually". When do you use it? 

So, my friend shared an article with me and I was reading it. Before we start slinging anything I would like to emphasise that I am discussing the usage of the word "Usually" in a purely linguistic manner.

The article is located here: http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/wp-mps-not-attending-national-day-rally-due-clash-grassroots-event

The line that I have an issue with is: "The National Day Rally is usually delivered two Sundays after National Day, with the date confirmed closer to the Rally, and opposition and Nominated MPs have been attending the event since 2007."


So, please take notice of the underlined text. When I read that, I felt that this means that 'most of the time'... (which to me is at least 80% but I agree that this is subjective) the National Day Rally (NDR) is delivered two Sundays after National Day, making it a rather constant arrangement.

However, my brain was rather fried by the interpretation class that I had just attended, and I can't even begin to tell you how picky my lecturers are on accuracy, so I checked the NDR dates for previous years, from 2007 since that's when the opposition MPs were invited.


2014: NDR 17th August. NDR was on the 2nd Sunday after NDP.
2013: NDR 18th August. NDR was on the 2nd Sunday after NDP.
2012: NDR 26th August. NDR was on the 3rd Sunday after NDP.
2011: NDR 14th August. NDR was on the 1st Sunday after NDP.
2010: NDR 29th August. NDR was on the 3rd Sunday after NDP.
2009: NDR 16th August. NDR was on the 1st Sunday after NDP.
2008: NDR 17th August. NDR was on the 1st Sunday after NDP.
2007: NDR 19th August. NDR was on the 2nd Sunday after NDP.

 As can be seen, since 2007, 3 out of 8 NDRs were held on the 2nd Sunday after NDP. This is 37.5%. How is this even considered 'usually'? Please note that the sentence states that "usually delivered", although I note the usage of the subjective clause "with the date confirmed closer to the rally". However, the sentence gives a meaning that NDRs are usually delivered on the 2nd Sunday. This is inaccurate writing, and we have plenty of that all around.

I have a friend who disagrees with me, but I still feel that if it is 37.5% of the time, then you should not use "usually"

1 Adorations
Comments:
How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

I am Mrs.Irene Query i was in need of a loan of S$70,000 and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to Dr Purva Pius,and he lend me the loan without any stress,you can contact him at (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Approvals within 24-72 Hours

1. Your Full names:_______
2. Contact address:_______
3. Country Of Residence:______
4. Loan Amount Required:________
5. Duration:_____
6. Gender:_____
7. Occupation:________
8. Monthly Income:_______
9. Date Of Birth:________
10.Telephone Number:__________

Regards.
Managements
Email Us: urgentloan22@gmail.com
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?