<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Japan October 2013 - Takayama to Nagoya (Day 6) 

It has been wet and soggy since the day we arrived in Takayama and today is no different. Typhoon weather makes it soggy so it is kinda depressing to be in Takayama. This area is actually very pretty but we were unable to fully appreciate the beauty it has to offer.

It is probably best to plan for a few days stay in this area. One might base themself in Takayama, and then make day trips out to the various locations around like Shirakawago or even stay a night or two (budget dependent) in ryokans at Shirakawago. After all, this area is supposedly famed for its onsen and a few nights relaxing in the area should be a great idea for those who love onsen. There are quite a few hotels within 5 mins walk from JR Takayama station so there are no worries about accomodation.

We checked out in the morning so that we could catch the 0930 ish train to Nagoya. Initially, we thought that we wouldn't reserve seats and just hop onto the non reserved cabin (this way if the cabin was empty we could spread out a bit more), but then when we got to the station, I suggested that we reserve our seats instead. When we boarded the train, it was quite empty. But when the train got to Gero, a whole bunch of people boarded. This old lady came up to my bag which was placed on the empty seat next to me, slapped my bag twice and said "sumimasen".

I had no clue whether she wanted me to move my bag, or she had accidentally knocked into my bag so I waited for her to indicate her intentions further. When she went on to talk to her companions about another seat, I ignored her. Turns out that she did indeed want me to move my bag as it was on one of three seats that they had reserved. This was probably the most impolite person I've met in my trips to Japan. Seriously, even in Singapore I would not be cordial if someone came up and slapped my bag like that.

We sorta enjoyed whatever scenery we could for the trip down to Nagoya. In Takayama and Shirakawago, we pretty much tromped everywhere in summer clothing even though it was cold and soggy. It wasn't really that cold, as air con rooms in Singapore can be colder and it was precisely because it was soggy, I did not want to wet my Uniqlo jacket that I had bought in Tokyo. I would rather be a bit chilled then soggy from top to toe. However, once we reached Nagoya, the wind was fairly chilly although it was sunny and I finally had the opportunity to pull out my jacket.

From JR Nagoya station, we took a walk over to Toyoko Inn Nagoya Marunouchi. Now, if you ever stay at this hotel do note that they have a free shuttle from JS Nagoya Station to the hotel from 1700 to 2200. We did not arrive during this time slot though. Along the way, I actually got us lost. Here I have to point out that the map provided by the hotel seemed a bit outdated. All I gotta say is Yoshinoya is unreliable!!

As we arrived at the hotel too early for check in, we left our luggage at the reception and went over to Nagoya Castle. They are currently reconstructing some portions that were bombed during world war II and the rebuilt areas will be open to public progressively until 2018. Admission to the castle is 500 JPY and you can pay and additional 300 JPY to visit the special exhibit. The special exhibit basically consists of building plans for Nagoya Castle, so if you are not in that kind of stuff, I would say, save the 300 JPY and just get the general admission ticket instead. That ticket allows you to go everywhere in the castle except the 3rd floor where the special exhibition is.








It was at Nagoya castle that I dropped my camera and it got seriously nicked. Must be because I had some snarky thoughts in mind when I read about the castle being bombed.

After the castle, we popped over to JR Nagoya station to get some dinner and it was here that we found a restaurant that served kurobuta which is what my friend wanted to eat. The food here is pretty good, it's a restaurant on the 12th floor of JR Nagoya Takahimaya named 黑豚俺 so if you are looking for pork in Nagoya, you might wanna give this one a thought.

After dinner, it was some shopping time and then back to the hotel for snoozes.

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?