<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Berlin, Prague and Vienna Day 4 (Contiki Day 2) 

This morning, we head off to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. I don't think I need to explain what a concentration camp is. If you don't know, you can either google or wiki it. Admission for Sachsenhausen is free and you can get an audio guide for 3 euros. They wanted a photo ID for the audio guide and if I had to use my 11B, that would have been kinda weird I guess. Used my student card though. 

Although I am currently on the Contiki tour, the Sachsenhausen tour is DIY. You move around onyour own and get back to the bus at the designated time. We had 2 hours, which included the time required to get the audio guide and 2 hours is definitely not enough for someone like me who potters about everywhere. I did not managed to get round to the whole camp, I only managed to view the barracks, the prison and the peace commemoration obelisk. Areas like the infirmary, torture areas.. I didn't manage to get to. I guess I really am the sort who needs to travel outside of a group tour lol.

If you come to Berlin, you really must come to Sachsenhausen. That is of course, unless you 1) hate history 2) are only here for the beer or 3) have been to Dachau or Auschwitz. For me, I would definitely go to Dachau and Auschwitz if I had the chance. I guess I'm quite the WWII junkie...

After Sachsenhausen, the bus brought us back to Alexaderplatz where it was free time for the rest of the day untill night for those who take up the optional "I spy" gig where you get to solve clues and go to bars. I wasn't going to "I spy" so I was just gonna hang around Alexanderplatz and catch up on visiting monuments and museums. Took a look at the Fernsehtum (TV Tower) and decided that I wasn't going to pay 12 (or 16, not sure which) euros to go up for the panoramic view because it was cloudy and looked like it was gonna rain, so the view was not likely to be nice. Went over to the Berline Dom and had a piping hot crepe along the way (yums!). Fortunately today, the Berliner Dom is open for visiting. The admission fee is 7 euros and the audio guide is 3 euros but unfortunately I believe they have either run out of it or are currently not offering any.

The inside of the Berliner Dom is magnificent. Seriously, 7 euros is way worth it (and don't give me no crap about your not visiting cos you are not Christian, I ain't one either.. just pay and go in!) and the best part is, we managed to catch a rehearsal for Christmas and so we got treated to some very nice music and singing. You can go up all the way to the top of the Dom and you can walk around outside of it. I reckon this is more worthwhile than the Fernsehtum but I hadn't actually gone to the Fernsehtum so I cannot say definitively. You get to see all the deco, and I really wonder how long it took to get all that intricate details done.

At the Berliner Dom, I met up with 2 of my Contiki groupmates so I ended up going to the Neues Museum with tem because they were looking for Contemporary Art. Well, no comtemporary art in that museum so it was a strike out. Neues Museum currently houses archaelogical exhibitions. Do go there if that's your cup of tea.

After the museum, we had dinner at Emma's near Berliner Dom. I had Wiener Schnitzel (the Chicken Schnitzel I had at Adebar the other day was better) with saute potatoes. Loved the potatoes.

There's like lots of potatoes, bread, chocolate (haven't had any yet *gasp*) around here so it's almost heaven!

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?