<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Berlin, Prague and Vienna Day 11 (Contiki Day 8 +1) 

Got up in the morning and went for breakfast. The others on the Contiki tour continuing to Budapest will be preparing to leave by 0930. I'm staying and extra night in Vienna and then flying off from here.

I had already bought tickets to the Lippizzaner performance in the Spanische Hofreitschule so I would need to get to the performance by 1100. Left the hotel slightly past 1000 and actually went to the train station instead of the underground station. However managed to get directions to get to the performance place by tram so I got there in plenty of time.

After I found my seat, I seriously felt that it was one of the best seats available on the upper level. There are definitely more seats that are better, on the lower level and costs at least twice mine. I checked out the seats later and I think those have cushions... mine didn't but still I liked my seat. It was opposite where the Lippizzaners would enter and it was on the 'short side' which means that I have the least amount of view blocked by the parapets.... and my seat was on the side which means I have extra space for my bag, on top of which my seat was as middle as you could get. I love my seat :D

Most of the time through the performance, I was literally on the edge of my seat. As in, I was sitting on the edge so I can see better but still I was at least seated. It's definitely not some equestrian competition like those you will see for Rolex cups or whatever but still the horses were well trained, graceful and for the most part obedient. There was one particular one that was probably having a bad day and was quite grumpy lol. If you like horses, consider watching this show when you are in Vienna. There is also a guided tour of the school (tickets separate).

After the show, I checked out Chanel and LV... I forgot it was Sunday and most things are closed. WSell tomorrow then. P.S. Not buying for myself in case you are wondering why I would even step into them, this person who uses a crummy $30 bag for everything. So do remember not to plan your shopping on Sundays in Germany and Austria. Not sure how it is in the rest of Europe but be prepared.

I then went to the Haus der Musik where I literally whiled the afternoon away. While Vienna means art to some people, to me it means music. Seriously. Music. On the first floor, there is a museum for the Vienna Philharmonic. Nice place, they even have a room set up for you to view recordings of their past performances!! Naturally discs are for sale. Someday I should like to attend their New Year's Concert. And perhaps their Summer Night Concert.

2nd floor was this psychedelic sound sphere. It explores sound. I didn't like it much.

3rd floor was dedicated to the Great Composers. Naturally, my favourite composer is not in this (as he, as far as I know, in no way ever touched Vienna) but there wwas a lot of information about the Vienna related composers. Lovely place really and there is even a virtual conductor kiosk where you can virtually conduct the Vienna Philharmonic. I didn't get to try it though but I had fun watching others try.

I love Strauss but I am almost getting a slight overdose of the Radetsky Marsche and An der schonen blauen Donau. Still love them but I get a bit peeved when people start auto clapping to the Radetsky Marsche and do not know when to be softer, louder and stop appropriately. You should watch this being played by the Vienna Philharmonic in their 2012 New Year's Concert... now that's audience clapping being conducted to almost perfection lol.

After the museum I thought I'd go find some food but that proved harder said than done. I thought I wanted schnitzel but then every place I went was either too empty (seems lousy but maybe it's good) or too full (can't get a seat) so in the end I ended up buying fish and chips from Nordsee in a takeaway pack. It's so comfortable to be eating hot food while walking in what was possibly 5 degrees weather. Your tummy gets fuzzy warm! After that I went bat shit crazy and bought a gelato. And ate it in the cold.


And now last but not least, I shall have to introduce you to my guardians today. They guarded my bag for me as I stuffed them on top of everything else. My hood from my coat and the lippizzaner I bought from the Spanische hofreitschule!



And also announcing that I need sponsors for my next Europe trip. Sign ups begins now.

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?