<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Roundup of Beijing Trip.

Ah. End of the trip and it'd be good to do a quick summary.

I usually wouldn't go on group tours because I like slacking out, especially when on holidays! I chose to go on a group tour this time because I decided that would be more convenient for my parents. My original plan for when I bring my parents to Beijing was to get a local guide so that we can customise the itinerary. I even got a contact from my friend who liked her guide! However due to planning issues and changing of destinations and all that, I decided to go with Chan Brothers since their itinerary included a half day free time.

Cost us about 1.1k+ each person, flying by Jetstar. As previously mentioned, the half day free time vapourised. Haiz. I'm not too happy about that but that is how things are when you are with group tours. They will definitely make time for you to go shopping, cos that's where their commissions are.

Food wise, the local guide kept emphasising how we get specially arranged food and all that. I have to say that it was really healthy food with low salt and oil. This was 'special order' because apparently northern food is not so bland. The local guide went on about how northern food was not suitable for Singaporean palates due to the oiliness and saltiness. I'd like to think that that it's only in recent years that we Singaporeans ate like that. "Too Salty!" "Too Oily!" "Too Sweet!". The health conscious. I"m not health conscious so I felt most of the specially arranged food was blah. I remember the food I ate last time was way tastier... cos it was not specially arranged. Anyway, what's the point of going somewhere to eat something that doesn't taste like how the locals eat it?

Every meal was in a restaurant and seriously I have to say that these were well arranged. Just that we ALWAYS had that infernal fish. That same fish, prepared in different ways. That same fish with gazillion bones in it's body. Scary fish.

On the last night when we were supposed to have dim sum supper and the restaurant screwed up, my mum commented that it was the same vegetables all over again. However, the dishes in that restaurant was much more to my taste!! It was saltier, hehehe but we had already had dinner and I was feeling sick too. Bah.

On hindsight, yeah, for all the meal we pretty much had almost the same stuff, albeit at different restaurants. The special stuff was Peking duck at Quanjude. Goubuli buns in Tianjin. Shaomai (烧卖). And Jiaozi (饺子) feast.

Good stuff actually but.. just not that fun food wise.

Oh and it might be a good idea not to stay with my parents in future. I always get woken up WAY earlier than morning call!! My father wakes early and towards the last few days tended to leave the room early to go down to breakfast. Nobody needs to rush down to breakfast at 0600+++...... *grumble grumble*

Itinerary was a bit tight, as to be expected. Hardly get the mood for photos, really. I was worried because I forgot to bring my CF card reader and my card could only capture about 291 shots. Turns out I didn't even manage to fill it up. However the good part is that we get to listen to the guide explain things to us. Just that we can't leisurely stroll wherever we want and that means certain places you don't get to explore fully (like the Temple of Heaven when we didn't get to go and see the spot where the Emperor used to stand to pray to the heavens).

Good to go on a group tour if you want to see most in the shortest span of time, don't want to bother arranging things yourself and all that. Bad for slackers like me.

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?