<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 23, 2011

A1 Crispy Puffs

I usually only eat curry puffs from one place only, and it ain't OCK. I don't think OCK is even worth the $1.30 (or is it $1.20?) compared to the curry puff I favour. I like curry puffs from Tip Top Curry Puff. Although it has gotten less tasty in recent years (not to mention more expensive), it still remains the best curry puff I've ever eaten. I have to say that I have not gone around Singapore tasting every single puff lah, so I am definitely no puff authority.

Anyways, today I decided to buy an A1 puff. I had decided to go against my usual practice and buy a non tip top puff. After all, you never know what you are missing right?

So here, is my personal opinion on the A1 crispy puff. Benchmark puff is, naturally, Tip Top Curry Puff. I will comment on the following areas: crust, meat, flavour.

Crust
Bland. That's all I can say. I love Tip Top curry puff's crust because it has a buttery flavour to it, although nowadays, even their crust has fallen in standards. Still A1's crust has nothing on Tip Top's. Not by a long shot by ICBM.

Meat
In English, the name of the puff is Crispy Curry Puff (w/egg) so I guess it is acceptable that you can hardly find any chicken meat in it. Yet in Chinese characters there is the word for chicken. Anyways, I personally prefer a puff in which I can bite into chicken meat chunks. CHUNKS, not mush. Could only find one small piece, I think.

Flavour
Very mushy. Some people love it, I don't. As previously mentioned, I prefer to be able to bite into the meat chunks. If there wasn't a paper bag to contain the puff, my puff would have fallen all over my clothes and the floor. And egg. The egg was kinda lost in there.... The puff was more spicy than flavoured with curry. Yes, I believe that curry does not have to be overly spicy. Curry and Chilli are not siamese twins.

Granted that these days, even Tip Top's puff has lost it's standard in flavour (I believe that is due to a change in the recipe in order to gain the Halal certificate, what a shame) but Tip Top's puffs flavour still beats A1's hands, feet, nose, hair, teeth and whatever else down.

And A1's puff cost $1.50 to Tip Top's $1.30, although A1's puff is larger. Though I still think Tip Top's is more worth it cos it has more meat.

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?