<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 27, 2009

Japanese Language Test (Bunka)

So after some last minute mini revision (you guys all know how lazy I really am), I was left praying for a pass.

Maybe cos I'm getting old, learning languages is not as easy. Or maybe it's just cos I'm obnoxiously lazy. Or maybe it's cos at Bunka, they stuff you with the hard stuff right from the beginning. I hate verb conjugation!!

German was hard but I don't remember it being so hard. Maybe I just have a bad memory.

Anyway I managed to scrape through with a pass, so now all I need to do is wait for the school to release a schedule where I can take an Elementary 2 class. We've requested for a class with our current Sensei, so we hope they can fit that in.

The problem with Bunka is that the modules are not one after another. You can have breaks of a few weeks, or even more than a month in between modules.

Studying at both Bunka and JCS is quite tough, because they teach different things so you have to learn different things. It's quite unlike my friend's concept where she thinks I will have the advantage since I'm studying at 2 places.

First I have no clue what she means by advantage. Next it is too early for any advantage to show. Third, if the syllabus is rather different, you are essentially studying for differnt things instead of reinforcing what you learnt at one place, so you get less time to study for each topic (at this point please ignore the fact that I am a lazy bum, please imagine me studying). However, over the long term, it should work out.

For example, right now at Bunka I learn the 6 forms of verbs, so I understand why there are different forms of verbs. At JCS, they only teach us the 'masu' form so I wouldn't have realised that 'kikimasu' is actually the same verb as 'kitte'. Whereas at JCS they taught us alot of sentence structuring that Bunka has not yet taught.

Someday their paths will converge. Till then... suffer! Obviously in the eyes of my friend there is no advantage. I wonder what advantage she expects? That I can hold a conversation in Japanese already?

It's just horrible to have to mess with verb conjugation. My grammar has always sucked and I don't know why I picked all the languages that love funky stuff like conjugation.

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?