<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 22, 2009

7 hours of Japanese a Week.

So, this is my second week of "7 hours of Japanese a Week". Due to work constraints I've had to take cab to classes twice this week. Monday and today.

My Japanese language classes take place on Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays. I've already learnt to appreciate Tuesday when I have no classes.

I'm currently learning japanese at 2 places. Monday and Wednesday, I am at JCS. Thursday I am at Bunka. Quite a few people have asked me about the differences at these two places so far, but I find that it is probably too early on to make a comparison.

Right now, the main difference is that at Bunka, they have taught the 6 forms of verbs, whereas JCS is more conventional by teaching greeting phrases and sentence structure such as "Noun 1 は Noun 2 です". The learning curve at Bunka is probably steeper in comparison.

I'm planning to take the JLPT 3 examinations at the end of this year. Next year, they will be changing to a new system where there is a new level inserted between the current JLPT 3 and JLPT 2. It has been said by many people that the gap between JLPT 3 and 2 is very wide, so this is probably to addres that.

The current structure is JLPT 4, 3 2, 1
The new structure is JLPT N5, N4, N3, N2, N1

JLPT N5 and N4 is the same as JLPT 4 and 3 respectively. N3 is the new level inserted between the current JLPT 3 and 2. JLPT N2 will be the same as the current JLPT 2. JLPT N1 will be slightly harder then JLPT 1.

I heard that JLPT 1 is so difficult, even Japanese can fail it. And they want to make it harder??

I'm considering going strating to JLPT N2 next year, effectively skipping N3 but essentially going the same route as the current system by going from JLPT 3 to 2. However, I'm concerned that it might be too difficult. Well, I guess we should worry about that next year. This year I should focus on JLPT 3.

In other news, yesterday in class, I overheard the two boys who were seated in front of me discussing a Taiwan trip. One of them brought out a Taiwan guide book and I believe they were trying to figure out the areas in Taiwan.

As you should know, Taiwan has areas called Taibei (台北) and Tainan (台南). So there they were looking at a listing for Northern Taiwan when one of them said "That's Taibei (台北) right?"

"No no, that's not Taibei (台北). That's Tainan (台南)"

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Or maybe Taidong (台东)"

They flip a page and see Western Taiwan.

"Oh. That's Taidong (台东)."

I go -.-'

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?