<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 27, 2008

More Little Nonya Continuity Issues

I just can't keep myself from not watching this show. Maybe because I want to see what other surprises will be sprung on us next.

From the last time I commented on this show, so much has happened. I'll just pick some that I remember cos I missed some episodes and others were a blur.

1) The scene where Yueniang was pushed into the well.... the well is situated at the kitchen and that day they were having Tok Panjang. NOBODY needed to get water from the well? Then why did they need a well? Fine, maybe they really didn't need water from the well. NOBODY thought the stuff stacked on the well looked out of place and wanted to put them back where they belong? This is a house full of servants, remember? Not your home or my home where we lazy till we can't be bothered to pick up after ourselves.

2) The scene where Liu Yidao's mother died. So many years already the white blouse still fits her perfectly. Amazing leh. And pristine white.

*My mum keeps nagging to me that Peranakan ladies do not wear the Kebaya during weddings. She says that they wear the 风褂 (phoenix robes). Well, I have seen such photos but in the show they all wear Kebaya. Somemore got stories and reasons for the rites, rituals and what they wear. All the stories and reasons must come from some place right? Can't be fictional right?*

3) In those days, the trip from Singapore to Malacca seems very short. The characters freely appear in Singapore or Malacca. I think they must have had something even better than the North South Highway in those days!

4) This is something I'd like to see them explain. Remember that the photo of Juxiang that Yousuke coloured in Japan? It was supposedly sent to Yueniang by his sister. Now... if Yousuke died in the war leaving nothing behind for Yueniang, how would Yueniang have gotten in touch with her relatives in Japan? Maybe you think Yousuke's sister has Yousuke's address since he was writing all the letters. True. However, that was the address of the photo studio in Singapore where Yueniang no longer lives.

Maybe she'll go and buy that place for keepsakes or something and the photo happened to arrive there after she did that?

5) This is more of my own curiousity. How old is Tao Jie in present time, really? 90 years old maybe? I'm estimating based on Yueniang's age. Yueniang was born around the time of the Japanese invasion of Singapore, so we can put that at around 1937-1942 (her father went back to Japan before the Japanese invaded Singapore). I think 1940 - 1942 is more plausible.

Before Yueniang was born, Tao Jie was already working in the Huang Family as a servant and had taken vows of celibacy. So I think she is at least 16-18 years old at that time. 1940 - 16 = 1922. 84 years old! Or thereabouts.

Next is something which makes me want to go faceplam. The stupid girl, keep changing her mind like she's selling roti prata. Don't want to marry Chen Xi when she found out who he was. Then tell him to ask fro her hand in marriage or abscond with her. Then when he does and people let her escape the house, she changes her mind and runs all the way back. After getting married to Liu Yidao, she changes her bloody mind AGAIN and says she doesn't want to be married to Liu Yidao. W T H.

Oh and this leads to continuity point 6.

6) I know in this show, the white blouse is very important. Need to keep till death. Still.. if you were to run from a home to a railway station and then back, don't you think you would at least be.... you know... sweaty? Unless your home is next to or AT the railway station, but we're talking about rich people, will they stay next to railway stations? I think it's at least a 2 KM run for her to the station and back loh. Hair is still ever so tidy and pretty, blouse is still so white and dry.... and she was running through vegetation to boot.

Watching this show really made me think that Nonya have nothing better to do then to fight over men with sewing and cooking. Oh yes, my mum insists that's not true either.

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?