<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 05, 2008

Little Nonya Continuity Issues

I have been watching this show because I was curious about the Peranakan-Japanese romance during WWII. So far, I would say that the show is watchable but there are serious continuity issues in there.

Well, first let me address issues brought up by my mum. My mother constantly reminds me and nags about how peranakan female children do not wear the Kebaya. Instead they wear Chinese style clothing. They only wear the Kebaya after they grow up.

I have to admit that I have not watched every single episode, so if there was some continuity explanation that I have missed out, do let me know. Else, onwards!

1) Senior Yueniang said that the photo of Juxiang holding a pot of Longan tea was coloured by her father while he was in Japan. It was said that he coloured it slowly, little by little. So how long did he spend there? Later on, it was said that when Yousuke returned to Japan to visit his father, his father had already passed away and he was arrested and put to military service. From there he became a deserter and made his way down to Singapore. So.. he tuanged at home in Japan for quite some time colouring the photo before he was arrested?

2) Little Yueniang's language. When Yueniang was born, her father was not in Singapore. Her mother is deaf and mute, so how did she learn to address her mother as Nya Nya and not some other form of address? Or maybe she learnt it from Teochews / Hokkiens living in the area?

3) When Charlie Zhang saw Yousuke impersonating as an officer, he must have seen Juxiang as well. Why was he no longer interested in the fact that Juxiang appeared in front of him and had to mobilise a platoon to track down Yousuke before being able to confirm that impersonator was indeed Yousuke? Wasn't Juxiang a huge clue there?

4) Yousuke's body. Why did the Kempeitai keep his body? Little Yueniang demanded the body from the Kempeitai, got the body and even had 2 Japanese soldiers help her move and bury her parents.

5) This has got to be the one thing I simply cannot understand. The rest of the stuff listed above I can ignore due to dramatic licence. How did Yueniang know where to find her grandmother who was in Malacca? Her mother was deaf and mute as well as illiterate. She can't speak, she can't write. She mimed the address to Yueniang??

I don't think too much when I watch shows, but this one is really begging for questions to be asked.


Oh yes, my mum also keeps reminding me about how some people who have no clue what Peranakan culture is keep claiming that they are Peranakan. Seriously people go get a clue before trying to say you're not Chinese, but a Peranakan.

2 Adorations
Comments:
Hi, the continuity issues drove us crazy. I had to go online to see if there are other people talking about it.

Chen xi was a little boy around his family table. He could already speak when Yueniang was still a little baby carried by the mother. Yet, around 8 years later, when Yueniang was on the ship to England with her mother, Chenxi was still shown as the same (?) small little boy. He should have been at least 8 years older, which should have put him at least 10 years old? Perhaps budget constraints?

Essentially, the show should have ended when Chen Xi wanted to marry Yueniang. He likes her, Chor chor likes her. She likes him. Yet, she runs off on some silly excuse of wanting to control her fate? This when her Uncle Sheng already indicated he wanted to send her to school? How else to be liberated, than by getting a first class education? The whole situation was so contrived that we stopped watching after that.

Also, we realized that the real hero of the show was Juxiang's mother - since she managed to train 2 generations of nonya who could sew and cook so fantastically. Her training system must have been first class to produce such consistent output.
 
lol! I agree with your comment on Juxiang's mother. Very good training system!

I actually did not watch every episode, so I did not know that Yueniang was offered a chance to go to school. More /facepalm moments for me! There are just way too many.... I'm kinda watching the show to see what else they can 'surprise' me with.

I also can't figure out how in those days, people can travel from Singapore to Malaccaa as if they had the North South Highway in those days!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?