<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Final 24 hours of 2008

Well well. I meant to take part in Eye e City 2008, which is an event where you take photos of the last 24 hours of the year, but I was just to lazy to go down and register myself. Maybe I"ll go out and take photos tomorrow, maybe not. Not really feeling in the 'take photo' mood.

Some people take the New Year on with a big hoo and hah, not me. To me it's a holiday which comes with a half day the day before if it is not a weekend. Besides, my leave officially ends today, a little hard to feel ecstatic over it no?

I much prefer Chinese New Year, but these days, Chinese New Year is losing it's charm. 'Modern' people do everything they can to show how 'modern' they are by not following traditions and even going against tradition. Isn't it odd?

People wear black on Chinese New Year, more shops stay open, some just plainly don't celebrate Chinese New Year. Yet it is considered 'modern' to partake in Christmas and such events. Yeah well, I guess Christmas is indeed more 'modern' then Chinese New Year as it has a much shorter history and though no one can say certainly in which year it started, I think we can be sure it's less then 2008 years right now as opposed to the approximately 4600 years of the Chinese Calendar (which may not be taken to mean Chinese New Year has been celebrated for 4600 years, by the way).

I love when the shops are all closed for days... it really gives you the feel of Chinese New Year!! Nowadays really no kick. Oh well. I guess that comes when people feel 'modern'.

On the topic of the colour of clothes, a lot of people these days wear black to weddings and bright colours to funerals. Don't be so old fashioned they say. Which year is it already? they claim. Yet, these are the same people who usually wear a white wedding gown, to signify purity they say.

Did they know that before Queen Victoria got married in a white gown in 1840, a lady who wore a white gown at her wedding was telling people that she was poor and did not bring anything to the marriage? The white wedding gown was popularised after Queen Victoria's wedding, as such it is commonly known as the Victorian wedding gown. That's from 1840. 168 years ago and you tell me that white gowns are not 'old fashioned'.

Ah well, but it is after all the last 24 hours of the year, and I should not be griping so much.

Next year will be a busy one! Classes, classes! Hopefully, I will be able to clear JLPT 3 at the end of the year.

1 Adorations
Comments:
Its ok to gripe... that's part of life, eh!

Anyways, happy new year 2009.

Next year busy one for you?? That's good cos it's not so rosy for many others.

So what color wld you want to wear for your wedding?


Beaver21
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?