<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Akihabara

The first weekend in Tokyo and the first place we hit up is none other than Akihabara! It's basically just lots and lots of Anime, Manga and electronics shopping.

First hitch for the day, we couldn't figure out how to transfer train lines. Turns out that since we were transferring to a non Tokyo Metro line, we had to do a transfer of train ticket. Fortunately, there were staff handy to help us out, a lady who's job is probably to seek out lost sheep amd guide them along on their way came along to help us when she noticed our trouble. There are lots of such people in Japan, so although the systems can be really confusing, there's usually help available. 

We just walked alot through the shops, my friend is interested in getting a laptop from Tokyo and her budget is about 100, 000 JPY. we've actually seen a couple of laptops of decent specifications that almost match her budget. I wonder if she would finally pick up one of those. she did buy a Muji bag though.

I myself was tempted to buy  laptop, but I don't have a use for it.

We had actually prepared lunch, but my friend couldn't find a place where she felt like having lunch. I think she was hoping for someplace to sit down to have lunch, but it's impossible in Akihabara. You should be glad to have standing space, let alone a nice decent place to sit down at. I saw a Mister Donut and we decided to try it. There was a donut that was quite nice, I think there's butter in it and icing on top.

As we walked, my friend saw this nice chinese restaurant named Xian and she wanted to have the Ma La Dao Xiao Mian so we went in. It was run by Chinese, so we could order stuff in mandarin. My friend had the set lunch while I order some dimsum. My friend's set lunch included the noodles, a dim sum and almond tofu. The food is actually quite good, the dim sum that I had were really tasty. When my friend's almond tofu was served, I was given a serving as well. Surprised, I told the waitress that I didn't order the almond tofu and she said that it was free! Aww... that's so sweet of them. Chinese rawks!

I actually don't like almond but since they were so nice, I finished up the dessert. It's actually pretty good, the almond taste was not too overpowering for me so I could finish it up.

After dinner, we continued walking. My friend has been looking for a phone for another friend of ours. This other friend wants her to buy a phone back to Singapore. I was telling my travelmate that I don't think she will be able to buy a phone back to Singapore due to the regulations around the purchasing of phones (I was told that one needs some registrations to buy a phone) , but she was quite sure it was ok..... until today when the store personnel told her that any phone purchase in Japan must be accompanied by a contract. So, it's a silver lining for her! She need not spend the money to buy the phone. The phones ain't cheap. The cheapest that we have found so far costs over $300.

Oh and while window shopping, I was given a free sample of Fuji film photo paper.. which I returned to the sales person cos i couldn't figure out what she was talking about so I didn't want to end up having to pay for the item... lol. Anyway I wouldn't have any use for it even if I had taken it.

Aw man, this trip to Japan does seem to feel a little long. Kyoto was really cool, but I'm not enjoying Tokyo so much.

Especially since 1 SGD is only around 60-62 yen right now...... everything is just so much more expensive, relatively.

I spent about $37 today... went to pop some capsules! Those thinggies that you drop coins into and then turn a dial to get a random capsule. Fun but pocket draining.

0 Adorations
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?