<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Kim's Family Restaurant

One of my friend (this is the friend who I was taking Korean classes with) saw an article for this restaurant in the newspapers and asked whether I'd want to go and give it a try. I usually do not choose to eat Korean food because I don't eat beef, vegetables, spicy nor sour stuff. You can see how far I'd get with a Korean menu.

Anyway, I thought I'd just give it a try. The restaurant is situated in the Bukit Timah eateries area. It's along Lorong Kilat. So we had a fine time trying to figure out how to get there in there first place. My friend insisted that it was between Bukit Timah Plaza and Beauty World as suggested by the article. I saw the map and told her it wasn't possible. She initially wanted to get off the buss at Bukit Timah Plaza, which would have meant a much longer walk.

She also wanted to ask the driver about the location of the area we were going to. I told her that there was no need and that she needed "a sense of adventure!". Seriously, how lost can you get in Singapore these days?

As we bumbled and stuff, we managed to find the restaurant nestled along a quiet stretch. We got seated and as I looked at the menu, it was pretty much confirmed that I hardly had anything to eat from the menu.

Nevertheless, I managed to get 2 items to eat. A huge bowl fo steamed egg for $5 and some pork belly BBQ for $17 which my friend would share. My friend ordered some mixture of beef and rice, as well as a bowl of soup.

I was wondering why she was ordering so enthusiastically, it turns out that she tought the soup would be a simple small bowl of soup. She thought that my bowl of steamed egg would be a small bowl too. To illustrate, she thought that it'd be the size of those they serve in places like Sakae. That was why she ordered a fair amount of food.

The reason for her assumption? The place was called a 'restaurant'. Therefore, items like a bowl of steamed egg at $5 'restaurant' prices would be small portions...............

Just for your information, the bowl of steamed egg was served in a bowl that is about the size of a chinese soup bowl. You know the type they use to serve soup for about 4 people? That's the type. So the soup naturally same in a similar serving portion. It also came with beef, some kind of vermicilli and egg. My friend's beef and rice mix was also in a similar serving size.

One can only imagine the amount of food my friend had to eat. Of course I wouldn't be helping her to eat because her food had beef.

The food at Kim's was quite ok. It's cheap, and since there were alot of Koreans eating there, I'd gather that it is fairly authentic. With the kind of food spread that we had, we spent $50.60 for the dinner and believe me, the meal was actually enough for 4 people.

Oh and they also serve boricha to you once you sit down! It's not something you get everywhere else.

I shall have to remember to remind my friend about food servings if I eat out with her again.

2 Adorations
Comments:
What's the name and address of the Korean Rest?

Sounds interesting. May give it a try when I'm nearby.

Btw, any special reason(s) why you don't take beef? Due to religion?


Beaver21
 
The place is known as Kim's Family Restaurant... like in my title lol.

However, the sign outside seems to say Korean Restaurant with a few letters dropped off. There is a piece of paper with Kim's Family Restaurant pasted on the glass.

It's along Lorong Kilat and near Lotte Supermarket.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?