<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

RAM Upgrade

I have been talking about upgrading my PC's RAM for so long, but I never really got around to it. I finally did it today.

I had bought 2 pieces of DDR PC400 1GB RAM during the IT show, but had not wanted to do the upgrade on sunday as I had a few events going on. Didn't want any screwups to be compounded.

So I pulled my CPU down and opened it up. WHOA. DUST BUNNIES!!

Looked for my old RAM and pulled that out. Was really pleased to see that it said the exact same thing as my new RAM PC400 DDR etc etc, except that it was 512MB and my new ones are 1GB.

Happily plugged the new RAMs in, dusted off some of the dust that I thought was safe to remove. Sorted out some of the old USB connections that were left on my PC and would not be used anymore. Receonnected all the cables and ecsatatically pushed the 'ON' button.

CPU started running super silently. I was like whoa so that's what a little dusting off does! Nope! next thing I hear a series of beeps. Crap. One long and two short. I google it with my iBook and it say video problem. CRAP.

Posted a help post on SPUG and SMS'ed my friend. Hey it's an emergency. I can fire off help messages in any number of venues I want.

Anyways... my friend and the people on SPUG told me to recheck the RAM connections, which I did and the annoying beeps persisted. I was then told to remove one of the RAMs. So I removed the piece that was placed in the previously unused slot.

Now the system works.

My friend then told me to try putting the other RAM into another slot. I had previously asked him what that slot was for. It looks exactly like a RAM slot but is differently coloured. I guess it's a RAM slot too. Wondering why it's coloured differently.

And finally, the result of that test is that I am now posting this blog post with 2GB of RAM.

Yay!!!

I have yet to see the effects though lol. FFXI is down for maintenance, will have to wait for it to be up. Gonna try out the lagfest events.

1 Adorations
Comments:
So have you experienced an improvement in your PC's performance with the additional RAMs?

Beaver21
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?