<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Singaporean English in The Slammer!!

I've heard about this thing about the Taiwanese commenting on Singaporean english but I only saw the video on youtube today



I think that section in the show was done in good faith and for entertainment purposes, not like they really wanted to criticise us. Still, since I'm an 'involved party', I shall yak abit about it.

We do have very different ways of pronouncing words over here in tiny Singapore, but then... I don't recognise any of the pronounciations that were supposedly Singaporean..... I think it was a case of a bad imitation.

The only word in the show that sounded remotely like it could be Singaporean was the word 'Pregnant' and if you can't switch yourself around to understand words spoken more curtly then you are used to and given an inflection to represent a question, then that's too bad.

Singaporeans are amazingly curt with words, we skip syllables, mispronounce, grammatical errors and all sorts of nonsense. Our english, as a nation, isn't all that great but hey if you wanna comment on someone degrading your english (see 00:45 "所以你变成这种英语") ... you gotta have standards higher than the offending person. Else it'd be tricky to pull you down. XD

1 Adorations
Comments:
Video was deleted liao...

Beaver21
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?