<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Singnet Disappoints

I've had this comment on my MSN for a few days now. 'Singnet Disappoints'.

Some people wonder why I say that. It's definitely linked to the ODEX fiasco. I have always been a loyal supporter of Singnet. Alot of people tell me that Singnet has poor customer service, lousy this, horrible that. Still, I always tell people that I will stick with Singnet.

Looks like I may be eating my words. For those of you keeping up with the ODEX issue, it has come to light that ODEX won the court order for subscriber information to be released from the Singnet database... by Singnet's consent.

I had previously thought that Singnet had no choice because a court order was served on them. I even went so far as to tell people that it is a 'bo bian case'. That was until it was revealed that Singnet didn't even bother to send a lawyer to fight the case. What Singnet did was sit on their laurels and wait for ODEX to go through the formality of obtaining a court order so that they can officially release the information and tell their subscribers that they were ordered to do so by the court of law.

Can you feel the anguish I felt when I read the damning revelation in Judge Ernest Lau's written judgement?

Is this what we, Singnet subscriber's deserve? We who choose to be with Singnet? Who tell people I like Singnet because I play MMOs and ADSL works better for me? Who always wanted to just stick to one ISP? Who has used Singnet since we ever had a PC? Who even when the internet connection goes to the dogs, firmly believe that tomorrow will be a better internet connection day?

Oh, if one spends time trolling around the internet, it is easy to find all kinds of statements over Singnet's behaviour.

On CNET Asia, Nicholas Aaron Khoo says:

What a PR disaster! And the best part of it is, SingNet is still quiet about it while the entire blogosphere is going crazy over it. A quick scan around the Net and you will find mounting displeasure over SingNet's attitude toward this whole issue.

On lbandit's blog:

After going through the posts by Dark Mirage and Siew Kum Hong, i’ve decided to prove that i’m not an armchair critic. I headed to Singnet webbie, (sadly) while seated in my armchair, to submit a termination notification for my 56k dial up. Hopefully, someone does act on my notification..

To be fair to singnet, atleast it doesn’t seem that difficult to find the link which says “Terminate account”.

On DarkMirage's blog:

Starhub may have lost, but at least they put up a fight. PacNet’s case probably benefited from it. But Singnet settled by “consent”? Hey, do you still remember a certain The New Paper interview with Mr. Peter Go at the start of this whole mess?
Newspaper extract of TNP interview

Odex had to pay unnamed ISP. Since Starhub lost the case, there’s absolutely no reason why Odex would need to pay Starhub for what they had already won in court unless they were feeling particularly charitable. But Singnet settled by consent. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out where the money went.

DarkMirage's thoughts are especially scary. What if it is true? Could it possibly be true?

Singnet is keeping pretty quiet thus far but there has been a news article on The Straits Times
(a copy on a forum is linked) which states that they did not consent to the demands made by ODEX to hand over subscriber details.

The spokeman also said :"SingNet spokesman Chia Boon Chong said, 'We reject all requests from third parties for information pertaining to our customers. We will release such information only under a court order or if the law enforcement and regulatory agencies demand such information from us.'"

Yes, release information only under a court order. However, not representing yourself in a court is just offering a walkover, making the court order application a mere formality.

The spokesman also goes further to say:" In Odex's case, as it does in all such cases, he said, the firm would 'entrust the courts to apply the law and make a ruling'."

Yeah. Just sit down relax and wait for results.

It's not a matter of whether or not people were caught for downloading. It's whether or not you're watching our backs for us. Where sufficient evidence is presented to extract subscriber information, then by all means, go ahead. However, there must be some form of check and control in the process. So far, the Singnet motto seems to be 来者不拒 (reject no one). Ask and ye shall be given.


My Singnet contracts ends only in September next year. I never had qualms with recontracting with Singnet as I was so sure I'll use them forever, come what may. Now, if it weren't for the contract and the fact that I'd like to keep my email address, I would probably have jumped ship as well.

Looks like next September is when I must give a good thought to this issue again.

3 Adorations
Comments:
Auntie... can you send me some of the pics you took during the fireworks at Esplanade... I know I whack you a bit hard at your arm, dun take it to heart okay...

Wah, you like to suan SingTel, dun tell me you're one of those Odex downloaders?
 
Why would I be downloading Odex??

The pics I took at the floating platform were quite crap. I went back the next day and took from another place. I'll sift through and send ya some. Of you can go to my shutterfly account and view em.

silverelf.shutterfly.com
 
compared to ODEX, i would rather go buy original DVDs in Johor with about the same subtitling quality and slightly better picture quality...at half the price :D

firestingerx.my-place.us/blog3
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?